Wet Lab Technician/Swastika Laboratories/Swastika, ON
Full-Time • Kirkland Lake Region
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs laboratory testing activities assigned by the Laboratory Manager
- Performs assigned tasks in accordance with standard operating procedures or methods.
- Participates in internal and external training programs determined by the Laboratory Manager.
- As part of our employee cross-training program, the technician may be re-assigned to other laboratory activities on a temporary or permanent basis.
- Enters data from weighing instruments into the laboratory information management software (LIMS) and reports any discrepancies or problems to the Laboratory Manager.
- Performs any other duties related to the position of operator as directed by the Laboratory Manager or designate when schedule and workload permit.
- Set up and conduct chemical experiments, tests and analyses using techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, physical and chemical separation techniques and microscopy
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment and apparatus and prepare solutions of gas or liquid, reagents, and sample formulations
- Compile records and interpret experimental or analytical results
- Develop and conduct programs of sampling and analysis to maintain quality standards of raw materials, chemical intermediates and products
- Conduct or assist in air and water quality testing and assessments, environmental monitoring and protection activities, and development of and compliance with standards
Skills and Qualifications:
- Drivers License and own transportation
- Able to Problem Solve
- Analytical Skills
- Observant, able to pay attention to detail
- Able to report
- Quick Learner
- Physically Fit, lots of heavy lifting
- Computer Sufficient
- Able to wear a respirator for the length of your Shift
- Safety Boots Required
- First Aid Course
- Willing to be health Monitored:
- Blood work every 3 months
- Chest Xray once per year
- Chemical background
- Experience in Geochemical Laboratories Criminal Record Check
- Master’s in Chemistry (Asset)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Analytical Chemistry
- Work weeks are 5 days, Monday to Friday, 8 hours per day. Hours of work are arranged beforehand with the Laboratory Manager. Starting hours vary with the shift assigned.
- Employees are entitled to two (2) fifteen minute paid rest breaks and one (1) thirty minute unpaid lunch break each day. Breaks are scheduled by the Laboratory Manager. No food or drink is to be stored and consumed in any of the laboratory work areas.
- Employees must follow all safety procedures in the laboratory. Safety equipment must be worn at all times in the laboratory where required I.E. safety glasses, rubber/latex gloves, aprons and respirators. No open-toed shoes are permitted.
- Employees may be required to work overtime and on weekends or holidays during busy periods.
- Annual review of employee performance and remuneration by the Laboratory Manager
- The business can be cyclic depending on market, economic and climate conditions.
- Overtime may be required during busy periods with advanced notice provided.