Social Worker - 2 positions
Full-Time • Kirkland Lake Region
TO APPLY: https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=192338
Are you motivated to make a difference in the lives of others? If so, consider this challenging opportunity at the Monteith Correctional Complex. In this role, you will provide professional social work services for inmates in a correctional facility.
The Ministry of the Solicitor General is embarking on a large-scale initiative to modernize Ontario's correctional system, with a focus on enhancing safety and security, infrastructure and services in institutions across the province. Consider a rewarding career in correctional services and join us in making a difference in the lives of individuals in custody and in keeping our communities safe.
The Ontario Public Service is one of the largest employers in the province with a wide range of exciting career opportunities. We believe in the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness. We invite you to join our teams!
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits which includes adoptive parents
• Comprehensive Health Plan
• Life and Disability insurance
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• We provide on-the-job training to support your success in the role
The OPS has been recognized as a top employer. We are proud to have been acknowledged as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Canada's Top Employers for Young People
Amendment: job advertisement extended to February 10, 2023.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the "How to apply" section if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Formulate discharge plans in full collaboration with professionals and inmates
• Provide crisis intervention services
• Prepare and maintain assessments and statistical reports
• Provide rehabilitative programs and counselling
• Participate in social work research activities and evaluate treatment programs and services
• Provide social work consultation and training to staff
How do I qualify?
• You are registered as a Social Worker in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have in-depth knowledge of and experience with theories, principles and practices of social work normally acquired through a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or Master of Social Work (MSW)
• You can develop rehabilitative program/treatment plans as well as conduct individual/group therapy and crisis intervention
• You have knowledge of risk assessment tools and rehabilitative/treatment options
• You have knowledge of community support services to assist inmates in formulating reintegration plans
• You have knowledge of gender responsive and trauma informed practices as well as sexual abuse and addiction recovery in order to develop programs and rehabilitative plans for inmates
• You are able to understand, interpret, and apply relevant legislation such as the Ministry of Correctional Services Act and Social Work and Social Service Work Act, etc.
• You can acquire knowledge of and apply operational policies and procedures
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can provide individual counselling, evaluation, and assessment services to offenders with complex needs
• You are able to connect and build rapport with a diverse client population with varied cultural, ethnic, and educational backgrounds
• You have experience working within a multi-disciplinary setting including community agencies
• You have proven tact, discretion and sensitivity to discuss problems/options with offenders and maintain confidentiality
Analytical, Assessment, and Problem-Solving Skills
• You can gather and compile data from multiple sources to identify inmate needs
• You are able to develop/modify rehabilitative, treatment, and case management plans
• You can assess inmates in crisis and apply appropriate therapeutic intervention
• You have organizational skills to manage conflicting priorities, meet deadlines, and maintain adequate records
Northern Attraction Incentive Program
This position qualifies for the Northern Attraction Incentive Program (NAIP). NAIP is a pilot recruitment program which offers financial incentives to new hires in specific positions in designated institutions and probation and parole offices in Northern Ontario, including external candidates to the Ontario Public Service and existing employees who agree to work for a term of three years.
All applicants will be provided with more information on the program, once the job advertisement closes. If you would like more information prior to applying, you may contact COR-ETU@ontario.ca