Service Trades Maintainer - Ontario Power Generation, New Liskeard, ON
Full-Time • Temiskaming Shores Region
Status: Regular Full Time
Education Level: Grade 12 or Equivalent. Certificate of Qualification: Carpentry / Plumbing preferred
Location(s): New Liskeard, Northeast Ontario
Travel: Yes- 10-20%
Deadline to Apply: October 22, 2020
BE THE GENERATION to challenge and change.
At Ontario Power Generation (OPG), our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about us that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship. We operate a diverse portfolio of generation assets including nuclear, hydroelectric, biomass and solar, and offer challenging and unique work opportunities.
BE THE GENERATION to power tomorrow. GENERATE A Future of Possibilities.
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for a dedicated and results driven professional to join our team in the role of Service Trades Maintainer at our Dymond Work Centre in Temiskaming Shores, Ontario, which includes several OPG facilities.
Reporting to the Trades Management Supervisor, the role of Service Trades Maintainer offers a unique opportunity to join Mechanical, Civil, General Trades and/or Machine Shop staff assigned to perform inspection and maintenance activities on various hydroelectric generating station components including turbine-generator drive trains, governors and servo-motors, pumps, overhead cranes, hydraulic gates and hoists, compressors, piping, pressure vessels and various civil and facility maintenance tasks.
This role is responsible for performing planned and emergency maintenance, overhauls and rehabilitative activities at hydroelectric generating stations and associated facilities (including Control Dams and Service Centres).
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to Ontario Power Generation’s continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner.
- Install, fabricate, commission, inspect, troubleshoot, service, and maintain, test and overhaul minor mechanical equipment and components associated with generating units/stations and facilities. Take appropriate preventative or corrective action.
- Perform tasks, applying the trade skills of carpentry, plumbing, painting, welding, masonry, lagging & insulating, scaffolding, lubrication, and general maintenance.
- Carry out rigging and craning, using both fixed and moveable cranes. Attend to general maintenance and inspection of this equipment.
- Maintain and operate machines and shop tools required to carry out work assignments.
- Operate forklifts, mobile and stationary cranes and trucks.
- Perform work protection code (WPC) activities up to the level trained.
- Carry out contract monitoring, including inspection, to ensure effective quality assurance associated with maintenance or installation of new or replacement of existing systems.
- Prepare mechanical and civil sketches, and bills of material. Carry out document maintenance activities.
- (Associated with Thermal Stations) Perform Public Safety inspections and maintenance activities to maintain effective control devices such as signage, fencing, booms and bouys.
- Accountable for the health, safety and well being of self and others, in accordance with technical/ operating procedures and standards.
- Carries out good housekeeping, safety and fire prevention practices in the performance of his/her work.
- Requires a grade 12 education, or equivalent experience.
- Certificate of Qualification in: Carpentry and / or Plumbing is highly preferred
Preference will be given to candidates who bring the follow experience:
- 2-5 years experience and skill to a variety of the following trades: carpentry, plumbing, masonry, painting, welding, plastering, roofing, concreting, bricklaying, insulation, and the erection of tube and clamp and other scaffolding.
- Experience with and ability to work from blueprints, written specifications, and oral instructions.
- Heavy Equipment Operator experience is considered an asset; specifically hands on experience with graders, backhoes and skid steers.
- Prior experience and knowledge in the operation of power & hand tools, and equipment related to the trade.
- Ability to work at heights and in confining spaces
- Valid G Drivers’ License in good standing
- Class A-Z/D-Z Drivers Licence is considered an asset.
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, OPG offers an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to Ontario's success.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province
If you are looking to learn from others and be part of something important, and you are excited about the future of power generation, you will find the right fit at OPG.
Our promise to you:
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop in our diverse lines of business.
- Provide spaces for innovative thinking and solutions.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- We support employment equity and diversity.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ by 11:59 PM E.S.T., October 22, 2020.
OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made. If you require technical support in a format that is accessible to you, please contact: AODA@opg.com