Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
Full-Time • Other Region
The successful applicant will provide safe, client-centered health care in the community using the nursing process, scope and standards of clinical practice established by VON and the College of Nurses of Ontario and principles of quality management. They will have the opportunity to contribute to VON’s responsibility for developing programs to meet community health needs.
- Provide and manage high quality, appropriate and cost effective nursing care to all individuals and/or families in the community who are assigned to their care
- Teach and delegate tasks and functions to different levels of workers and to family members and others in accordance with the standards and scope of practice as determined by VON and the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Provides complete, relevant assessment of the client and family and their environment utilizing established procedures.
- Obtains relevant information for care from the client, family and appropriate members of the healthcare team.
- Documents all relevant information clearly, concisely, accurately and appropriately according to VON standards.
- Describes and documents assessment findings utilizing established procedures. This includes the documentation of a client’s and family’s reaction to care.
- Contributes to clients’ care plans in collaboration with the health care team.
- Selects and implements strategies or interventions from established care plans in consultation with the client and/or caregiver and health care team.
- Promotes client-directed care, self-care and independence through teaching.
- Shares clinical knowledge to enable clients, family and the community to make informed choices in determining health and service needs.
- Promotes involvement of the client family in determining health and service needs.
- Practices in accordance with the quality and risk management framework of VON Canada and Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Plans, implements, evaluates and adjusts care in accordance with customer focused expectations by seeking input from clients to assure that service meets needs.
- Functions in accordance with the VON policies, procedures and strategic direction of VON Canada.
- Collaborates with management staff and colleagues in the evaluation of own practice and maintains competence through continuing education and self-reflection.
- Comply with all standards, policies, procedures and legislative requirements
- Participate as a member of the health care team in relevant committees and working groups
External and Internal Relationships:
- Works collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team and acts as a clinical resource and mentor for other care providers, staff and students.
- Engages regularly with clients, their families and caregivers. Provides education and support to engage clients and families in independence.
- Participates actively with other healthcare professional organizations and the community to promote nursing best practices.
- Ability to observe and make effective assessments of clinical issues.
- Able to initiate and support health teaching, facilitation and development.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to problem solve and to adapt to nursing interventions as appropriate.
- The capacity to adhere to strict confidentially.
- Effective time management skills that allow for the independent planning and organizing of daily work activity.
- Registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Current and valid CPR
- Demonstrated skills in observation, critical thinking, independent assessment, health teaching, communication and interpersonal relationship building
- Excellent assessment, teaching, problem solving and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team
- Experience working in a diverse population
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required