Full-Time • Timmins Region
This position is located at our Penhorwood Site which is located approximately 70km west of Timmins towards Foleyet and requires daily travel for scheduled shifts.
The Mine and Laboratory Technician at Penhorwood Mine reports to the Mine Manager and is in charge to assist with the mine campaign and related activities. In addition, she/he oversees sampling, preparing and analyzing mine samples and as well as all aspect of preparation and analyses of Mine samples and the quality control for both mine and plant laboratory.
- Helps directing and coordinating mining activities associated with optimization of mining operations and ore utilization.
- Survey, sample, prepare, analyze blastholes samples and elaborate an extraction/production plan.
- Ensure quality control for both Mining and Production Laboratory.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follow, adhere, and promote to the company Health and Safety rules as well as understanding OHSA’s rules and regulations.
- Provide accurate surveys for Production layouts, Site layouts, Month end reports, As built database.
- Survey, sample, prepare and analyze blastholes samples.
- Organize infill drilling campaign and analyze samples.
- Understand local geology and talc grade for ore grading in the pit.
- Manage waste dump progresses and rehabilitation according to the waste dump designs.
- Assist with pit dewatering system, water sampling and water management.
- Monitor and assist with stockpile management, manage stockpile elevation and clean-up.
- Update plant operators of the stockpile quality and tonnages.
- Assist with blasting watch.
- Understand the quality requirement of the Mine and Plant (ISO 2015-9001).
- Manage and calibrate all laboratory equipment.
- Hold a quality control journal and issue mine and lab quality reports.
- Review and update laboratory work instructions.
- Assist with procurement when necessary.
- Understand concentrator and mill processes in relation with ore consumption and ore composition.
- Tasks and responsibilities will change according to seasonal work being performed at the Penhorwood mill and mine.
- Proficient in conducting LIDAR/ RGB – photogrammetry surveys and creating orthomosaics or 3D models of the area.
- Other functions as required.
Education and Experience requirements:
- Diploma from a college or university in minerals/mining engineering or Laboratory Technician is preferred but other technical discipline will be considered.
- Knowledge and understanding of quality control and quality system.
Knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics:
- G2 License
- Drone Pilot certificate – Advanced operations is an asset.
- Knowledge of flying drones is an asset.
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and Power Point
- GPS surveying equipment usage is an asset- Trimble / Leica
- Knowledge of a mining/surveying software like Surpac. Pix 4D etc. is an asset.
- Understanding sampling and quality rules
- Work outside in Northern Ontario weather, especially during the winter mining campaign.
- Lifting samples and using sample preparation equipment can require lifting to 25kg.
- Exposure to >85 dB noisy environment near Drill rigs, mills.
- Quick learner and comfortable working under minimal supervision
- Pre employment drug screening required.
- Penhorwood Mine - travel to site required on daily basis. (70km West of Timmins).
- Travel allowance provided.
- 40 hours per week
- Monday to Friday, with every other Friday off.
- 9 hours per day plus lunch break.
- Work schedule could fluctuate seasonally.