Economic Development Officer
Contract • Chapleau Region
MICHIPICOTEN FIRST NATION EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
(Internal/External Posting – April 6, 2020)
Michipicoten First Nation is a vibrant Ojibway First Nation community located on the white sands (north east shores) of Lake Superior. The registered population is approximately 1,100 with 70 members living on reserve. With a strong sense of community and cultural identity, Michipicoten First Nation strives to maintain harmony and balance with Mother Earth, neighbouring First Nations and surrounding communities.
Michipicoten First Nation is seeking a full-time Economic Development Officer (EDO) to lead the implementation of economic related initiatives as directed by Chief and Council.
Under, the EDO will be responsible for developing economic diversification strategies to help Michipicoten First Nation broaden its economic base and identify new or emerging areas of economic opportunity. The EDO will be involved in planning, developing and implementing new economic opportunities in collaboration with government, private industry, municipalities, and First Nations. There will be a strong emphasis on business venture development related to ecotourism, resource development and working with private industry developers to ensure that Michipicoten First Nation benefits from development activities within its Traditional Territory.
Reporting to the Director, Lands and Economic Development, you will:
· Prepare proposals for a variety of economic development initiatives for submissions to public and private funding sources
· Write project briefs, updates and final reports for all project activities taking place at Michipicoten First Nation
· Create presentations and ensure that economic development initiatives and opportunities are communicated to Chief, Council and MFN citizens
· Maintain a sound administrative and organizational system
· Develop budgets and cash flow projections
· Develop and track accomplishments related to an ongoing work plan
· Act as the point of contact and liaison between local partners, businesses, individuals, and various other community and business organizations
· Conduct research on local market opportunities
· Research public sector economic development funding opportunities
· Consult with government representatives concerning eligibility requirements for funding
· Identify opportunities for joint ventures and serve as a liaison between the involved parties
· Assist with preparing business plans
· Provide advice on market analysis and economic opportunities
· Conduct financial analyses on proposed business plans and opportunities
· Maintain files and records on local businesses and economic development opportunities
· Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in business or economic development related positions, supplemented by education and training
· Experience in venture development, particularly in the area of natural resource extraction industries
· Proficiency in MS Office applications, various software and internet
· Experience working with First Nations
· Knowledge of Indigenous Rights, history, culture, and current socioeconomic issues
· Strong communication and negotiation skills
· Strong interpersonal and government/private industry relations skills
· Proven track record building, developing and coordinating successful projects
Job type: Full-time, 2-year contract
Michipicoten First Nation offers a comprehensive employee benefit package and competitive salary based upon experience and qualifications. This position is a salaried position with flexible hours as some travel and extended hours may be required based on activity.
Interested persons may submit their cover letter & resume as one document by email to Lisa Belanger firstname.lastname@example.org . This posting will be active until position is filled. Please include the job title in the email subject line.
Michipicoten First Nation (MFN) is an equal opportunity employer. MFN will attempt to provide reasonable accommodation for known disability for an applicant or employee if requested. Where qualifications are equal, preference may be given to qualified band members and/or individuals with status.