Chief Mine Engineer
Full-Time • Timmins Region
Lake Shore Gold is located in Timmins, Ontario.
The Timmins West mine is located approximately 18 kilometres west of Timmins, Ontario, one of the world’s most prolific gold camps. Mineralization is associated with the Porcupine-Destor fault system within the Abitibi greenstone belt. The Timmins West mine is comprised of the Timmins deposit, the Thunder Creek deposit, and the 144 Gap deposit. All three deposits are interconnected by underground drifts.
We are currently recruiting for: Chief Mine Engineer
In this position, you will be responsible for supervising all mine engineering staff and managing all mine functions at the Timmins West Mine to maximize the operation’s performance in a safe manner. You will oversee, coordinate and address engineering activities including annual budget, reserves, planning, surface and underground infrastructure, mine ventilation, geotechnical matters, material handling, reconciliation, hourly bonus and reporting. You will develop, optimize and implement the approved mine plan to achieve annual tonnage and ounce objectives in a safe and economic manner.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Wages
- Medical and Prescription Benefits
- Dental Plan
- Vision Coverage
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- Basic Life/Accidental Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability Coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation
- Mine/Mill Performance Plan Incentives
Timmins West Mine
5x2 Monday-Friday 8 hour shifts or 4x3 10 hour shifts
Reporting to the Mine Manager, the Chief Mine Engineer will have the following responsibilities:
1. Supervise and mentor the mine engineering personnel.
2. Provide technical leadership and operational expertise to the engineering and operations team.
3. Develop, optimize and implement the approved mine plan to achieve annual tonnage and ounce objectives in a safe and economic manner
4. Establish, execute and effectively monitor short-term (daily and 3M) and long-term (reserves and life of mine) plans that supports the growth of the operation
5. Facilitate weekly planning meetings, with key personnel, to coordinate activities in order to meet goals
6. Oversee, coordinate and address engineering activities including planning, surface and underground infrastructure, geotechnical matters, material handling, reconciliation and reporting
7. Monitor the underground activities to coordinate and prioritize the planning goals
8. In consultation with the mine team, plan alternative optimized methods of ore extraction, stope access and mining sequence, detailing the costs, benefits and issues with each approach and makes recommendations to the team
9. Oversee and signoff on month-end engineering reports and hourly bonus calculations
10. Monitor compliance and ensure adherence to applicable engineering codes, regulations, safety and environmental practices, performance standards and specifications
11. Develop the annual mine site budget and quarterly forecasts, with support from stakeholders
12. Contribute to strategic long term mine planning sessions, with input from all stakeholders
13. Coordinate mine engineering work with that of geology, ground control, ventilation and mine operators. Work closely with the operating and technical groups to support optimum utilization of resources.
14. Troubleshoot problems that arise; analyze and recommend solutions so that mining will proceed according to plan.
15. In consultation with the mine team, develop alternative methods of ore extraction; this will include assessing stope access, mining sequence, detailed costs, benefits and issues with each approach and making recommendations to the team.
16. Assist with underground mining studies, including cost estimates
17. Contribute to the development of policies and procedures in engineering
18. Participate actively in training programs, personnel improvement, and job improvement initiatives.
19. Continually develop the ability, knowledge and skills necessary to keep up with the changing methods and technology in the job.
20. Assist with special projects that arise within the planning and projects teams.
21. Perform other duties as requested.
· Registered Professional Engineering license in Ontario (P.Eng).
· A minimum of 10 years of experience in an underground mine engineering and operating role will be an definite asset.
· Strong background in long-hole and conventional mining methods is essential.
· Experience with paste fill would be considered an asset.
· Experience with ground control, mine ventilation systems and underground water management would be considered an asset.
· Strong leadership, initiative and ability to prioritize workload and coordinate multiple tasks under strict deadlines with independence and professionalism.
· Knowledge of engineering techniques as they apply to ore body evaluation and mine operations.
· Strong computer skills are essential, including the ability to use and create excel spreadsheets and work with scheduling programs. Excellent skills are required in the use of Computer Aided Design programs such as; A-Mine, AutoCAD, EPS, Deswik, VentSim, and others.
· Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point and Project).
· Excellent communication skills between technical and non-technical groups. The ability to relate to both operations and engineering in a team approach is essential to success.
· A team player with strong time management and organizational skills.
· Ability to coach, mentor and develop the engineering team.
· Be responsible for EIT and other technical staff career progression at the mine site.
· Excellent analytical skills, good attention to detail and the ability to provide sound engineering problem-solving techniques to resolve potential issues.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
To express your interest in this position please forward your resume to:
Lake Shore Gold
P.O. Box 1067
Lake Shore Gold is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect and we believe that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and all aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business requirements.